- About Us
- Education & Advisement
- Our Research
- Our People
- News & Events
- Log in
Deborah Allen, Ph.D.
- BISC 100* - Freshman Seminar
- BISC 103 - General biology for elementary teacher education majors.
- BISC 104* - Principles of Biology with Lab
- BISC 207* - Introductory Biology I
- BISC 208 - Introductory Biology II. Taught using problem-based learning strategies, since 1993.
- BISC 306* - General Physiology
- BISC 326* - General Physiology Discussion
- BISC 422 - Teaching Experience: Tutorial Methods of Instruction. In-service course for undergraduates who serve as peer group facilitators in problem-based learning classrooms.
- BISC 567 - Molecular Biology Through Inquiry. A course for in-service high school teachers that centers on use of exemplary curriculum materials and methods for teaching molecular biology and genetics.
*Course web site available through MyCourses
In 1992 I joined a multidisciplinary group of science faculty at UD (Harold White, Barbara Duch, Susan Groh, Sheella Mierson, and Barbara Williams) who shared a common concern about the outcomes of the traditional methods of science instruction we had been using. I worked with this group to develop courses, write problems, assess the effectiveness of the courses and curriculum materials, and perform a larger analysis of our students' perceptions and attitudes about their learning of science. My current interests continue to include the design, implementation, and assessment of courses/curricula using active, collaborative learning strategies, and the creation of problem-based learning (PBL) problems and materials. I also am involved in the development of a support and education program for use of supervised undergraduates as peer group facilitators in problem-based learning classrooms. This project is being conducted in collaboration with Harold White from the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. We currently are producing a manual and accompanying trigger tapes (about group dynamics) for in-house use and national distribution. A related project has been the development of a program for involving undergraduates in inquiry-based instructional activities in both the college and K-12 classroom (the Science Fellows Program). I also am a founding leader of UD's Institute for Transforming Undergraduate Education (along with George Watson, Barbara Duch, Susan Groh, Harry Shipman, and Harold White), the winner of a 1999 certificate of excellence, TIAA-CREF Theodore Hesburgh award.
Laboratory science: My earlier research interests were in the interaction of cardiovascular, neural and endocrine mechanisms for preservation of salt and water balance, including underlying cell signaling mechanisms.
- PBL for Elementary Teacher Education majors - Design of multidisciplinary problem-based learning problems and strategies for basic science courses.
- PBL and Technology - Will integration of IT support into PBL courses enhance the experience for students in large enrollment, nonmajors courses?
- PBL peer group facilitators - Currently producing a videotape and accompanying manual designed for diagnosing and troubleshooting problems with groups. Intended for use in preparing undergraduates (and faculty) to be facilitators of collaborative learning groups.
- Teaching Workshops - Design and implementation of workshops on problem-based learning, collaborative learning, and peer group facilitators at the University of Delaware's Institute for Transforming Undergraduate Education and on other campuses.
- Allen DE. (2012). Current insights: Recent research in science teaching and learning. CBE Life Sci Educ 11: 221-225; 351-352.
- Allen DE, Donham RS, Berhardt SA. Problem-based learning. In: W. Buskist & JE Groccia eds, Evidence-based teaching. New Directions for Teaching and Learning Winter 2011; 128:21-29.
- Allen D. Current insights: Recent research in science teaching and learning. CBE Life Sci Educ 2011; 10(1):8-10, 10(2):132-134 & 10(4):334-337.
- Allen D, Tanner K. Transformations: Approaches to College Science Teaching. New York: W.H. Freeman; 2009.
- Chamany K, Allen D, Tanner K. Making biology learning relevant to students: integrating people, history, and context into college biology teaching. CBE Life Sci Educ. 2008;7(3):267–278.
- Allen D, Tanner K. Putting the horse back in front of the cart: using visions and decisions about high-quality learning experiences to drive course design. CBE Life Sci Educ. 2007;6(2):85–89.
- Tanner K, Allen D. Cultural competence in the college biology classroom. CBE Life Sci Educ. 2007;6(4):251–258.
- Allen D, Tanner K. Rubrics: tools for making learning goals and evaluation criteria explicit for both teachers and learners. CBE Life Sci Educ. 2006;5(3):197–203.
- Allen D, Tanner K. Approaches to biology teaching and learning: from a scholarly approach to teaching to the scholarship of teaching. Cell Biol Educ. 2005;4(1):1–6.
- Allen D, Tanner K. Infusing active learning into the large-enrollment biology class: seven strategies, from the simple to complex. Cell Biol Educ. 2005;4(4):262–268.
- Allen D, Hodson R. Crops of the future: A problem-based learning exercise for the laboratory. In: Michael O'Donnell, ed. Tested Studies for Laboratory Teaching. Vol. 25. Toronto, Canada: Association for Biology Laboratory Education; 2004.
- Allen D, Donham R, Tanner K. Lesson study – Building communities of learning among educators. Cell Biol Educ. 2004;3(1):1–7.
- Allen DE, Duch BJ, Groh SE, Watson G. Scaling up research-based education for undergraduates: problem-based learning. In: Kauffman LR, Stocks JE, eds. Reinvigorating the Undergraduate Experience: Successful Models Supported by NSF's AIRE/RAIRE Program. Washington, DC: Council on Undergraduate Research; 2004.
- Allen D, Tanner K. Approaches to cell biology teaching: learning content in context--problem-based learning. Cell Biol Educ. 2003;2(2):73–81.
- Allen D, Tanner K. Approaches to cell biology teaching: mapping the journey-concept maps as signposts of developing knowledge structures. Cell Biol Educ. 2003;2(3):133–136.
- Tanner KD, Chatman L, Allen D. Approaches to biology teaching and learning: science teaching and learning across the school--university divide--cultivating conversations through scientist-teacher partnerships. Cell Biol Educ. 2003;2(4):195–201.
- Allen D, Tanner K. Answers worth waiting for: one second is hardly enough. Cell Biol Educ. 2002;1(1):3–5.
- Allen D, Tanner K. Approaches to cell biology teaching: questions about questions. Cell Biol Educ. 2002;1(3):63–67.
- Allen DE. Who owns the Geritol solution? Problem-Based Learning Clearinghouse. 2002.
- Allen DE, White HB. Peer facilitators of in-class groups: adapting problem-based learning to the undergraduate setting. In: Miller JE, Groccia JE, Miller MS, eds. Student Assisted Teaching: A Guide to Faculty-Student Teamwork. Bolton, MA: Anker Publications; 2001.
- Allen DE, White HB. Undergraduate group facilitators to meet the challenges of multiple classroom groups. In: Duch BJ, Groh SE, Allen DE, eds. The Power of Problem-Based Learning: A Practical 'How To' for Teaching Undergraduate Courses in Any Discipline. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publications; 2001.
- Allen DE, Duch BJ, Groh SE. Faculty development workshops: A challenge of PBL? In: Schwartz P, Mennin S, Webb G, eds. Problem-Based Learning: Case Studies, Experience and Practice. London: Kogan Page; 2001.
- Allen DE, Duch BJ, Groh SE. Strategies for using groups. In: Duch BJ, Groh SE, Allen DE, eds. The Power of Problem-Based Learning: A Practical 'How To' for Teaching Undergraduate Courses in Any Discipline. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publications; 2001.
- Donham RS, Schmieg FI, Allen DE. The large and the small of it: A case study of introductory biology courses. In: Duch BJ, Groh SE, Allen DE, eds. The Power of Problem-Based Learning: A Practical 'How To' for Teaching Undergraduate Courses in Any Discipline. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publications; 2001.
- Allen DE, White HB. A few steps ahead on the same path: using peer tutors in the cooperative learning classroom – A multilayered approach to teaching. J Coll Sci Teach. 1999;28:299–302.
- Allen D, Duch B. Thinking Toward Solutions: Problem-Based Learning Activities for General Biology. Philadelphia: Saunders College Publishing; 1998.
- Allen DE. Adapting problem-based learning strategies to the introductory biology classroom. In: D'Avanzo C, McNeal AP, eds. Student-active Science: Models of Innovation in College Science Teaching. Philadelphia: Saunders; 1997.
Phone: (302) 831-8958
Fax: (302) 831-2281
Office: 204 Wolf Hall
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716
- A.B. - Lafayette College
- Ph.D. - University of Delaware
- Postdoctoral - Dartmouth Medical School