B.A. Degree in Biological Sciences with a Major in Biological Sciences Education


Degree Requirements

Students planning to major in Biology for the purpose of teaching science in secondary schools must identify themselves and plan their programs with the faculty advisor for secondary education as early in their academic careers as possible because this course of study includes significant study in education as well as biology in order to prepare students for the university's endorsement for teacher certification.

Your major requirements will depend on when you entered UD (your "Catalog Year"). Students have the option of changing to a subsequent Catalog Year.

Download the degree checksheet for your own records: Biology Education Checksheet.


  • Students entering before Fall 2017 do not have a Capstone Experience requirement.
  • Additional courses are needed for a grand total of 124 Credit Hours.
  • To be eligible for student teaching, Biological Sciences Education students must have a GPA of at least 2.75 in their BISC courses and an overall GPA of at least 2.50.
  • Praxis I (Core academic Skills for Educators) examination.  The State of Delaware requires a passing score on the Praxis I examination prior to certification.  This is a test of basic competencies in reading, writing and mathematics.  You must take the Praxis 1 examination upon the completion of 60 credits and/or prior to admission to the upper-level education courses.  See the Delaware Center for Teacher Education at UD (go to www.teachered.udel.edu, and click on the Praxis Registration Information tab).  See also Praxis II (Biology Subject Test) examination.  To receive the University’s institutional recommendation for certification you also need to pass the Biology subject test (Praxis II) by May 1st of your senior year.  See the Delaware Center for Teacher Education at UD (go to www.teachered.udel.edu, and click on the Praxis Registration Information tab).
  • For additional information on requirements, see the web page below that is produced by the College of Arts and Sciences Center for Secondary Education. https://www.secondaryed.udel.edu/
  • Certification in other states. States have varying requirements for teacher certification; Delaware has reciprocal certification agreements with many states.  See www.teachered.udel.edu to look up information for a particular state (click on the State Departments of Education tab.)
  • Check the web pages above regularly because these requirements are subject to change. For further information, contact the Biological Sciences Education advisor:

Professor Jennifer Nauen
Department of Biological Sciences
239 Wolf Hall
Phone: 302-831-4439
E-mail: jnauen@udel.edu